Perform one of these programs each day, and you will be well on your way to excellent fitness in only 10min a day. Each program targets a different aspect of fitness, to give you well rounded and versatile fitness. They can be performed in any order.
- Aerobic endurance: 10 minute walk – get up first thing and go for a brisk 10 minute walk. Then follow your routine as normal. This kick starts your metabolism, leaving you feeling refreshed and awake. Repeat at lunch-time, whenever you pop out for a coffee, and after dinner. The accumulative effect of these three (or more if you get the opportunity) 10 minute walks in your day includes; increased fitness, fat loss, and stress relief.
Gyms can be boring, but if you are lucky enough to have one in your building, they can save time.
- Aerobic agility: 10 minute intervals – do you sit in front on TV after a long, exhausting day? Take 1 minute per exercise to do the 5-6 of the following activities (allow 30seconds between each to get your breath back):
- Flexibility: Lower body -
- Flexibility: Upper body -
- Core Stability -
Balance on one leg; progress to eyes shut
Superman; progress to eyes shut
Opposite arm and leg raise (superman): This photo is an advanced version of the exercise. Start on your hands and knees.
- Strength (beginners) -
Assisted Push ups
Supported bent over row (use water bottles or bags of sand)
Strength (intermediate) -
A good looking squat. Pistol squats are the same, except on one leg with the other pointing out straight infront.
Strength (advanced) -
Push ups: fingers can be extended towards you, like in the photo, or out in front, whatever position is better for your wrists.
Strength (for variety, any level) - Pistol squat
Shoulder press (like a push up, but with feet on bench or against the wall)Hand stand (supported by wall, progress to free stranding)
- Power -
Repeat 3x10 sets of the following exercises with plenty of rest in between. Power training is high risk of injury, and should be used as an advanced exercise.
1) split lunges
3) explosive push ups
4) tuck jumps
5) hill sprints
Simple power training: stair sprints.
- Speed - Intervals are an effective way of improving your speed over time. In the rhythmical exercise type of your choice (riding, boxing, running) try the following interval sessions:
* alternate 2min sprint with 1min complete rest for 20-30min
* alternate 1min sprint with 15sec complete rest for 20-30min
* alternate 8sec sprint with 12sec easy movement for 20-25min
* alternate 1min sprint with 1min easy movement for 30min
- Recovery- Take time out and achieve balance with the following:
- * Meditation
On the plane (only for the super-keen!): The following exercises are possible to do within the confines of an plane. Be prepared for a few startled looks from your fellow passengers!
- * Pelvic floor exercises: squeeze your abs in like you're trying to push your lower back into the car seat.
* Roaming: just get up and pace the halls. Any energy expended is good energy!
* Lie down and up: in the hallways, lie down on your back then get up again without using your hands. This will increase your heart rate as well as your abdominal and leg strength.
* Push ups
- * Aerobic agility program (#2 card)
* Some flexibility, core, and strength exercises: the ones that are possible without equipment (cards #3-10).
* Skipping: skipping is one of the most effective cardiovascular workouts there is. Start with 1-2 minutes and increase as your body is able. It is an excellent exercise for interval training (#12).